Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Traditions Around the House












I have this thing for collecting vintage Christmas stuff. Don't
ask me why! I think maybe it has to do with reliving past Christmases. My brother, sister, and I were very lucky children. I have Christmas memories that still make my eyes shine. My brother, Paul, and I were just talking about how anxious we always were on Christmas Eve. Of course, we were supposed to be in bed, but who could sleep on a night like that? Unfortunately for us, our parents bedroom was at the bottom of the stairs...and my Mom was/is a very light sleeper. I told Paul that Sam says if he wakes up at midnight we're opening presents! I'm thinking 5:30 A.M. is plenty early enough. But as Paul and I continued our conversation it started coming back to me. There aren't many things that keep me up because I am so excited about the possibilities of the morning ahead. In fact, I can't think of any. Evidently that feeling has gone by the wayside, due to age. But I have been doing a lot of thinking about what this season means for my son and all children. To have that level of anticipation for Christmas morning is a precious treasure every child deserves. And the next best feeling is having Mom yell up the stairs "SNOW DAY!!!" Thanks Mom and Dad for the wonderful Christmas memories I hold dear to my heart.




See the Christmas kitties? My sister made those for me when we were in college. I'm now 51, so you do the real math. I'll just say it has been some time ago. They are actually ornaments, but I've always seemed to like them arranged in a basket. Some are missing ribbons, some bells due to jealousy on my real cats part. It doesn't matter. It just isn't Christmas if Shelli's kitties aren't displayed somewhere. I like simple traditions the best!!! Don't you?





I'd like to introduce you to Eve. She's a child mannequin I've had for quite a few years. She's just recently been brought out of the closet, not because she's gay, but because my son has always been afraid of her. Now it's the beagle. When she was dressed for Halloween, I thought the beagle was going to have a heart attack. He cowered and barked for 2 days (and nights)! Eve is looking lovely in her Santa's hat, don't you think? Or maybe she's cold. Maybe I'd better find her a dress...and some arms. Another thing I like to do at Christmas is put out the picture Christmas cards Mom and Dad sent out when Paul, Shelli, and I were kids. The pictures are hard to see but the card on the right is just me (cuz I'm the oldest)! Then there is one of just Paul and I and then finally several with all three of us once Shelli arrived. There is also one of Grandma and Grandpa Ferguson and all ten of us grand kids. I had this photo copied and mailed one to all the cousins a couple of Christmases ago. It was definitely worth the effort! The spouses had fun trying to figure out which one of us was which. I'm missing one card. It's the infamous staircase photo. I'm fuming in it because I DIDN'T WANT MY PICTURE TAKEN!!! If you look in the back of the photo, you'll see a Western Union telegram dated Dec.17th, 1962. It's addressed to my brother, sister, and I, sent from the North Pole via St. Louis (where my aunt lived). It reads: From the land of snow and ice with a pack of presents nice my trusty deer are bringing me down. Your house will be my first stop in town. Santa Claus

I bought myself a little present when I was out today. I went to the local Hallmark store and picked up Sheryl Crow's Home for Christmas CD that's only available with Hallmark. It was $7.95 and I had a $4.00 coupon so it only cost me $4.58. I've been listening to it while I've been blogging and I like it. Well worth the $4.58! Bossy will be proud of me! And so will my sister!



I'll be back soon with more of my Christmas junk. I drug it out and everybody is going to see it, dammit!!!

No comments: