Sunday, December 21, 2008

Paul Smith's Santas


I have known Paul Smith all my life. He and his family lived in the same little town that I grew up in. Paul was a mason by trade. When he chose to slow down a little, he took up the art of woodcarving. I'm not sure when I first saw his Santa carvings, but after that, every year when Mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I would say, "One of Paul's Santas." And so for several years I received one of Paul's creations. I've been looking on the bottoms of them. Not all are dated, but one is dated 1990 and another one says 1997.

One year Mom gave Paul some wooden thread spools that had belonged to her mother, Aileen Ferguson. Paul carved Santa faces in them. What a special use of Grandma's spools that probably would have ended up in the trash.





Paul's wife, Gertrude, played her own part in the making of the Santas. Gertrude was in charge of painting them.




Eventually, Paul's interest in carving gave way to other things. But it doesn't stop me from asking him when I run into him if he has anymore Santas! And I don't think I'll ever stop asking him! Paul's Santas are some of my most prized possessions. I'm not sure what attracts me to them so, but I treasure them and always will!
The dark red Santa on the right was not done by Paul. I bought it at a craft show here in Maryville several years ago. It is signed "Main" and I think the man was from around Corning, Iowa.
Sorry the pictures aren't any better. My camera doesn't do well on close-up shots.
















































































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul's Santa's are really awesome! Mom had a fantastic idea having Grandma's thread spools carved. It is something I will always cherish for 3 reasons. Paul's carving, they were Grandma's thread spools, and for Mom's thoughtfulness!